Monday, January 27, 2014

M.I.A - Missing in Action

Taken from my place in December 2013
 
 
Missing in Action.  That's what it feels a bit like at the moment.
 
 
 
I definitely was getting a bit slack with the blogging last year. Interestingly enough my last entry was in July, which was also the same month my Father in Law passed away in 2013.
 
But October was really when everything was flipped upside down. On the 10th of October 2013 my husband came off his road bike at speed, taking the impact on his head - an impact which also caused his fractured clavicle (broken collarbone) and the smashing up of his helmet. And ultimately - his traumatic brain injury.

So, let's just say I haven't spent much time knitting, let alone designing patterns since then. I feel now (approximately 3.5 months later) that I really want to knit, but solo parenting 3 kids (7, 5 and 3) whilst my husband is a full time resident in a brain rehab unit can kinda keep you pretty busy and kill the ability to concentrate. Have I mentioned how much I'm looking forward to school being back next week???

Though, in saying that, how precious are my kids? (I've got to take this opportunity to show photos so you can compliment me/us on them!)



My husband WILL be discharged in the next month or so. But the reality is that being discharged doesn't mean that our lives will be the same. We sure hope we get back to something similar to the life we had - but we also realise that for now, our lives aren't the same and we'll just take things day by day. Thank you to everyone who has helped us out since then, I have a list so long it puts me off writing thank you's right now. I will thank you all personally, promise!

So, there you go. If you've been wondering why I haven't replied to your message about a pattern (oh I'm so so sorry!) or haven't commented on your projects lately, hopefully that might make things a bit clearer.

Wishing you a safe and uneventful 2014. Now go and kiss those kids of yours and smooch your partner. We never realise how good our quiet everyday moments are until we lose them (for a bit, hopefully).

xx

Julia




20 comments:

  1. Big love to you xxxx <3 and a smooch from me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping for a smooth recovery for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids ARE beautiful and you are a wonderful friend, mother and wife xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing your husband lots of healing vibes and yes your kids are beautiful ;) remember to keep some time for you.....patterns and knitting can wait xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia my heart aches for all you and your family have been through and are going through. You are an amazing gorgeous woman a loving and devoted Mum and a fantastic dedicated wife to Blair. I admire your strength and honesty. And yes your kids are beautiful they are just like their Mum. Hang in there and I hope it helps in some small way to know that many people care xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh you've been through a lot these past few months. Hope your husband continues to improve.

    Your children look adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be so hard for you at the moment to get time to do anything with all that is going on. I hope that when your husband returns home you can all find a different kind of normal that is good for all of you. Sorry to hear of your FIL passing away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your husband's recovery surprises the doctors and is truly speedy from here on in. I'm also glad the holidays are almost over; there's been way too much e-tertainment these holidays. Tomorrow though, we're gardening and dyeing yarn and Friday will be a visit to Orana Park as my car will be back by then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Julia, thats rough! Sending lots of thoughts and hoping for a smooth recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending you love and strength - you have certainly had enough to keep you busy without having time for knitting and designing. I hope Blair's recovery goes really well xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are never far from my thoughts Julia. I hope that Blair makes a full recovery. You are an amazing and strong woman, admired by many. Kia kaha x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear this Julia. I had a serious road cycling accident 2 years ago and have been to hell and back. My best wishes and healing thoughts to you and your family.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry Julia, hope the recovery is going well! Much strength and love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ju, for what you're going thru your being so strong and awesome. A hard, long road to be on. To have amazing friends, and family to help you, 3 great kids who are angels is a total blessing. You totally diserve to all the love and support xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ten years ago my husband was only 47 and had a stroke , which is a brain injury . The road back was long , physio , counselling . Read the book water lemon by Ruth Ritchie as she went through what you are and most of all be kind to yourself. You will be sad and angry and frustrated and that is all okay . Best wishes to you

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry...my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. If I wasn't taking care of my sis right now I'd volunteer to come help you and your fam a bit. I know how difficult times like these are for the caregiver. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julia,
    I am a friend of Alison Daines on FB and she posted a link to your blog so I popped over to have a read. My heart goes out to you and your lovely family. I will definitely be keeping you all in my prayers. In June last year I lost my husband who was only 52 to cancer - something he had battled with for 25 years. I encourage you to think about life when your hubby comes home as the new normal - it won't be an easy road to travel but together you will get there and the new normal can be just as good as the old normal ;0) I blog too so if you ever want to follow my story you can find it at Ladybird Wonderings. Blessings Jolanda

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear this, what a stressful and challenging time this must have been for you and your family. I pray for complete healing and rehabilitation for your dear husband.
    P.S. My last project was a Primrose (love it!) and I'm now working on a fern leaf scarf - totally love your patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. People have made amazing and miraculous recoveries from traumatic brain injuries. I will say a prayer that your husband is one of those miracles. Your children are indeed beautiful and you are lucky to have hem. Best wishes as your family moves forward. You will find strength you did not even know you had. Linda

    ReplyDelete