Monday, November 22, 2010

Baking Therapy

When worried or stressed there are a couple of things I do...eat chocolate, knit and sometimes, if the mood strikes I'll bake (though never anything complicated...biscuits are a favourite, you can eat lots of them and no-one else ever really knows how many there were)

I've baked something every day since hearing the news of the 29 Pike River miners trapped 4 days ago. It wasn't until I sat to post the easy recipe I've recently discovered that I realised the relationship between the two. I have found myself watching the clock, making sure I'm by the tv when the media releases are due hoping for developments and progress. I know it's cliched, but my heart and thoughts go out to those who are waiting for news of a loved one. When they read the names and ages today of each of the 29 men, I couldn't help but feel a bit weepy when really realising that the '29 men' were each someone's son, husband, brother, father, uncle, best mate, cousin, neighbour, work colleague....all loved dearly by many I'm sure.

It's made me think of my own Dad too, he was born and bred in Greymouth. No doubt he'd know a family name or two, he'd be really concerned and interested, he'd recognise streets and buildings the media are showing.  Dad was also a fireman and later a volunteer fireman so understood about different gases and rescue procedures - and he was almost the same age as the oldest guy down there when he (my Dad) died. I heard the name of the 62 year old down there today and wondered how his wife, kids, grandkids, brothers and sisters were faring in particular.

While I'm waiting for the 10:30pm news update, hoping that the bore will have broken through the last 30m since the last update at dinner time, I thought I'd post this very simple recipe I've been overusing. The kids like them...and I've eaten more than my fair share too. I like that they don't need much butter, even if they do use 2 packets of highly artificially coloured sugar/gelatine!

Jelly Crystal Biscuits

Ingredients:
100 g butter
2x 85 gram packets
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2 Cream the butter, jelly crystals and sugar together in a mixer.
3 Add egg and beat well.
4 Add the sifted flour and baking powder and mix until well combined.
5 Place in teaspoonful sizes on a oven tray. Flatten slightly with a fork.
6 Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes. Leave on tray to cool a little before removing.


That's it - easy (and the tin was fuller...way way fuller by the time I thought to take a pic.These ones are blackcurrant ones, I've also made strawberry one...and I think blueberry ones would go down well with the kids too)

No comments:

Post a Comment