Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Belated Easter

Easter didn't really happen at my house. The kids woke up and found they'd been visited by the Easter bunny but we didn't really get into the easter spirit beforehand like I would have liked. The build up was possibly overshadowed by Craft 2.0 and the fact that Coco Kids had a stall there on Saturday the 29th (the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday). On the Sunday I fed my babe and then got up early to take my lovely friend Kate to the airport so besides us consuming a bit of chocolate, it felt like any other Sunday following a very busy Saturday.

Craft 2.0 by the way was fabulous, exhausting but fabulous. I spent the day there with my colleagues Kate and Ali, along with baby David (9 weeks at the time), he was more than happy in my Unido sling or being cuddled by whoever could snaffle him away from me when he wasn't sleeping.


I had been meaning to make these Hot Cross muffins with my kids as soon as I found the recipe. I tried making Hot Cross buns with them a few times, but for some reason, the same recipe I had great success with last year was a flop (no it wasn't my yeast).


Today, we made the Easter muffins. I still haven't got around to the kids making little baskets or bunny ears or anything like that, but the muffins we did today. And they were yummy. We'll make them again, even if it's not easter!

Here's the recipe, I hope it's ok to post it on my blog!

Allyson Gofton's Easter Hot Cross Muffins

Ingredients:
3 c flour
2 T bkg pdr
1/2 c brown sugar
2 t mixed spice
1 1/2 c dried fruit (your choice, I used currants and sultanas)
1 apple, peeled and grated
2 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
125gms butter, melted and cooled

Crosses:
1/2 c flour
1/2 t bkg pdr
25gms soft butter
milk to mix

Method:
1. Sift the flour, bkg pdr, brown sugar and spice into a large bwol. Stir through the dried fruit and make a well in the centre.
2. In a jug mix grated apple, eggs, milk  and mix into the dry ingredients along with the melted butter.
3. Pour into muffin pans and bake 220 degrees C for 10 mins. Open the oven dorr, pull the tray out, but keep the muffins in the oven. Pipe crosses on top of the muffins, then bake for another 5-7 mins until well risen and golden. Cool in tins for 5 mins before enjoying.

Crosses:
Sift the flour and bkg pdr, rub in butter. Stir in enough milk to make a thick batter. Fill piping bag ready to pipe onto muffins whilst they are cooking.
If you wish to glaze muffins (I didn't see this instruction until now) dissolve 1/4 cup sugar in 2 T water and simmer until sugar has dissolved. Brush the muffins with this and stand 2-3 mins before serving.


Oh dear though, I've done so little regarding the royal wedding - no crown making or princess dress ups and stories. Maybe that'll have to be next weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment